We did an afternoon session for a church youth group on mission. Long talks and presentations weren’t going to work, so we split the room into four areas and ran little tasks in each booth, bringing everyone together every so often for a quick talk on various aspects of world mission, and rotating people around the booths every half hour.
- 2:00-2:15: Welcome and people drifting in.
- 2:15-2:30: First booth session
- 2:30-2:40: First talk: The Bible and mission
- 2:40-2:55: Second booth session
- 3:00-3:10: Second talk: The challenge to mission
- 3:15-3:30: Third booth session
- 3:30-3:40: Third talk: Kanji evangelism
- 3:45-4:00: Fourth booth session
- 4-: Final session: Quiz-a-missionary
God around the world
- A looping video stream containing three or four videos about what God is doing in various parts of the world. (Not included here because the ones we put together weren’t actually very good…)
- Maps and charts from the Joshua Project with a few stories about what God is doing.
- Pointers for prayer for the countries presented in the videos.
- A missionary on hand, telling their story of how they got into mission.
- Posters created from the missionary timelines
Who me? Vocations test
A bunch of computers running modified (youth-friendly wordings) of the Christian Vocations questionnaires.
- Map of the world
- Post-it notes
- Board titled “we prayed for…” to stick notes on
- Prayer needs from previous booth and more generally
Challenge to mission
- What are you going to do with your life?
- Could live for money
- Could live for friends
- Could live for family
- I decided to find out what Jesus was doing and live for that
- What’s Jesus doing?
- Going around speaking about the Good News
- Offering people forgiveness
- Setting people free
- Giving people family
- What a life if I could do that!
- One in six have never heard about Jesus
- Two thirds don’t believe in him
Using Chinese characters to share the gospel - you need A4 sheets and marker pens for everyone. Explain how:
- How to explain the gospel using the character 人 and the 天外内 schema
Mission through the Bible
Something like this sermon although obviously much shorter.
Panel discussion: quiz a missionary
Have paper and pens at each booth and encourage people to write down questions while going round. Then put the questions in a hat (with a few ringers in there just in case) as a way to start off discussion. Then take any other questions that come up.